MTF Week 11 24/05/2007

Class Remix Presentations

Today, In Music Technology the class presented our remixes originating from the Real World Records remixed competition.

http://realworldremixed.com/

Scott H. presented his mix of “If I had my way” by Little Axe. Unfortunately some of the plug-ins in the lab weren’t on the presenting computer. This is a very mellow song and I feel it would have sounded larger with Amplitude as intended.

Ben also presented the “If I had my way” by Little Axe. I was really impressed how he used reverb to create a gospel effect. Ben left space so the contents of each region could sink into the listener. I like the song but twice in a row I was ready for a nap.

Scott P presented “What you are” by Joi. Scott aimed for a dance feel and was successful in the feeling of the piece building as it went.

I presented “My secret Bliss” by The Afro Celts Sound System. My production notes, screenshots, analysis and research are featured below. I concentrated on the arrangement feature of this remix exercise as my samples were of very good quality. I really enjoyed putting together this mix and was pretty happy with the outcome.

Jake also did “My secret Bliss” by The Afro Celts Sound System. I was really impressed with his work. He has a somewhat unique angle and is very passionate. He also could not use some of his effects due to the constraints of the plug-ins on the presenting machine. I really wanted to hear the effect he described as “being underwater”. Whilst his arrangement was totally different to mine we both ended on the same small ambient sample.

Daniel filled us in on his hatred for vocals and his techno tastes. This was evident in the arrangement of the same Afro Celts song.

Simon did “What you are” by Joi. He said that it was the least like “world music”. He also not a fan of fade outs so it was interesting to hear the sounds he actually did like.

Overall the songs presented this week bore no resemblance to the original arrangement. It was a very enjoyable exercise for me and the research that influenced decisions on this project helped to expand most people’s horizons.

References:

Music Technology Forum – Adelaide University, Electronic Music Unit.
Lecturer: Steve Fieldhouse

Presentations: Scott H, Ben, Scott P., Jake, Daniel, Simon

No comments: